Skip to content

More Cabinet Doors

February 7, 2010

It has been a busy weekend, but not really with the house.  My grandparents were in town for one night, awaiting the departure of their cruise-ship, and we enjoyed seeing them and showing them our house.  They are now off for an entire month on a cruise around the South-Pacific.  However, we did make some progress on two important things.  First, I trimmed a few of the cabinet doors  so that they now fit in their frames.

They don’t fit perfectly due to the frames being warped.  We’re going for an “old fashioned” look though, so it’s okay, right?  The framing of the cabinets is going to need a lot of fixing up before we actually install any of these doors.  Everything needs to be sanded, and filled with wood putty in places.  Some pieces may need to be replaced entirely.

Here’s a close-up of one of the rails for the cabinet doors.  All of these cuts were made with my table saw.

The doors don’t all fit perfectly due to the pine being warped.  We’re going for an “old fashioned” look though, so it’s okay, right?  The cabinet frames are also going to need a lot of fixing up before we actually install any of these doors.  Everything needs to be sanded, and filled with wood putty in places.  Some pieces may need to be replaced entirely.

Here’s the entire unit with some of the cabinet doors that I made stacked up on the left, and the original doors on the right side.  Honestly, I think it was more work to strip the paint off of the original doors than it was to build new ones.

Also, I set up the dovetail jig so I can start making drawers next.  I’ve also outfitted one of my three routers (three!) to be used specifically for dovetail joints with this jig.  I’ve made a couple of sample joints, and they look great!  I think the drawers will be a bit of a challenge, but here’s hoping it won’t be too bad.

The other thing I accomplished was refinishing the kitchen sink.  Since the bathtub worked so well we decided to use the same white epoxy/paint stuff.  Here is the sink before applying the epoxy…

Pretty gross.  Here’s what it looks like now:

Of course now we can’t use our kitchen sink for three or four days.  On the other hand this will be easier than the three days that we had to go without the shower…

Alexandra is going to post soon with pictures of the whole house showing what it looks like since we haven’t really posted any pictures of it lately.  Next weekend Alexandra’s mom will be in town to hang out and see the house.  We’ll work on picking out possible color combos for the entire house, inside and out.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: